These little beauties are perfect paired with bubbles, and so quick and easy to make you’ll still have plenty of time to sort your outfit out! I prepared mine the night before and chilled them in the fridge overnight before I cut and baked them. So moreish you’ll wish you had made more, these ones are cheese and chilli straws and anchovy and garlic, but you can add whatever flavour you fancy next time I think i’ll try some olive tapenade.
Enjoy and Happy New Year , see you in 2015 xxx.
Cheese and Chilli Straws
- 100g finely grated mature Chedder cheese
- 1 Tbsp of Djion mustard
- 1/2 Tsp of chilli powder or cayenne pepper
50g anchovies in oil
1 clove of crushed garlic.
500g puff pastry ( homemade or stop bought if in a rush and want something hassle free)
1 egg beaten for glaze
- Pre heat the oven to 180C or gas mark 4 and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Cut the puff pastry in half , then roll each half into a rectangle approx 50cm long and 20cm wide.
- Cheese and chilli straws : Spread the mustard over one half of the pastry and sprinkle with grated cheese and then sprinkle the hill powder onto the cheese. Fold over the other side like a sandwich, press down and then chill in the fridge.
- Anchovy straws : Blitz anchovies in the oil they come in together with the crushed garlic in a food processor until smooth. Spread over one half of the pastry , fold over the other side as before and chill in the fridge until firm.
- Once the pastry has been chilled for awhile and is firm , egg wash the pastry , trim the edges and then cut into 1 cams strips and twist.
- Place straws onto the baking tray and bake for 15 – 20 mins until golden brown.