Bananas? Hate them, not just a little dislike but a proper hate… banana smoothie, banana milkshake, banana flavoured sweets anything banana-esque, even banana cake or banana bread. Give me bread , give me cake but don’t even think about putting bananas in there . So what do you do if at the end of the week you have at least 3 over ripened soft and squishy bananas .. yuk ? Luckily I had bought a few punnets of beautiful blackberries , so here we have blackberry and banana bread. Surprisingly delicious, not as sweet as I thought it might be and ridiculously simple .. winner. This S*@t is B-A-N-A-N-A-S … amazing !
- 3 Ripe bananas peeled and roughly mashed
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 125g softened butter (salted or unsalted)
- 250g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 150g of blackberries (optional – coated in plain flour)
- Line a 1 kg loaf tin with baking parchment and heat the oven to 190C
- In a large bowl using the back of fork or an electric whisk cream the bananas and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs one at time and whisk until fully combined, then add the butter and mix for a little bit longer.
- Sieve in the flour and baking powder and fold together with a spatula or wooden spoon. Carefully fold in the raspberries , be sure not to mix too much to cause the raspberries to break up.
- Tip mixture into a lined loaf tin and spread evenly.
- Bake for about an 1hr or until the skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean .
- Remove form the tin an cool on a wire rack . E-A-S-Y!!!