So lately I’ve been challenged with baking various sweet things which has been great because I have a fairly sweet tooth and I love cakes, chocolates, ice cream..anything sweet, the problem with this is that I can literally hear the seams of my jeans giving way as I type. So as a different challenge my work colleagues ( thanks guys!) challenged me to make savoury muffins. This raised quite a few eyebrows as you can imagine …’muffins can’t be savoury’ people cry!, ‘That’s just weird’ others would say and to be honest after my first attempt I would’ve agreed. A feta cheese and red onion muffin, was interesting but didn’t quite hit the mark.. it really didn’t have the punchy flavour I was looking for. So I thought I would try a Stilton, walnut and pear muffin. This recipe is so quick and easy, make them as bite size mini muffins and it will not feel too heavy and is perfect with a little bit of plum chutney. This recipe make 24 mini muffins.
- 340g Plain Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 170g Stilton or any blue cheese, broken into small bite size pieces.
- 120g Greek yoghurt
- 2 medium eggs
- 150ml milk
- 100g walnut pieces
- 2 pears , peeled and chopped into small pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 200C and grease the muffin tin with butter and flour lightly ( i like to use melted butter and pastry brush)
- Sift the flour , baking powder and salt into a bowl, then scatter in the Stilton, Pear and walnut pieces and mix well.
- In a jug whisk together the milk, yoghurt and eggs and then pour into the dry mixture.
- Using the a large metal spoon fold the mixture until just combined and all the dry ingredients are moistened. No need to over mix it.
- Spoon into the mini muffin tins and bake for about 20 – 22 minutes or just until risen and golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool and enjoy with a plum or fig chutney.
Top Tip : Add a little honey if you like a little more sweetness.